Looking for something a little more but yet less for your “diet”? Like Chicken Parmasean but can’t have the calories for adding the moist yet crisp and tasty outer layer? Well, this is one recipe that you will, dare I say, like and lines up with a “Keto” diet as well!
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts fresh or plump, frozen are usually smaller in size
- 2 tsp Salt divided to 1 tsp each (or use as desired)
- 1 tsp Pepper divided to 1/2 tsp each (or use as desired)
- 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning divided to 1/2 tbsp for use at a time
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- 2 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar Ken's Steakhouse or Newman's Own usually but any will do, I don't recommend "Lite" versions though
- 14.5 oz Crushed Tomatoes I use store brand here
- 1 tbsp Chopped Basil Fresh preferred
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional - more or less to taste)
- 4 slices Mozzarella 1 per piece of chicken
- 1/2 tbsp Parsley chopped Fresh preferred
- In a large skillet add olive oil and heat on medium.
- Add the chicken breast and season with half of the salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Cook for 8 minutes, then flip and season the other side. Now cook for 8 more minutes. Remove from the skillet and place on a plate to the side.
- Let's add the garlic to the skillet and cook for approximately 2 minutes. Now add the balsamic vinegar, scraping browned garlic bits with a wooden spoon. Add the can of crushed tomatoes, basil, and red pepper flakes (if using), and stir until combined. Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Take the plated chicken and gently place pieces in the skillet. Place 1 slice of mozzarella on each chicken breast. Cover the skillet with a lid until cheese is melted.
- Remove lid, garnish with parsley, and you are now ready to serve.